What you’ll learn
Power Query is by far the best Data Preparation tool ever created for the business user. This course contains essential concepts, tips, tricks and suggestions to build upon the skills taught in our free Power Query Fundamentals course.
No matter how ugly your data, it needs to be cleaned for analysis, and that is the goal of this course. You’ll learn:
- A variety of simple transformation techniques that takes your data from ugly to tabular, all of which are refresh-able with a click.
- How to append (or stack) two or more tables together, whether they live in a single file, come from two different data sources, are spread across multiple worksheets in the same workbook, or spread across multiple files or workbooks.
- How to merge data in multiple ways to identify items that either match, or don’t have a match at all.
- How to merge data based on VLOOKUP()’s “approximate match” methodology, as well as “Fuzzy” matching, where data to be matched is misspelled or needs to be translated from one word to another
- Where to use Conditional Logic to extract items into new columns based on certain criteria
We don’t care how ugly your data is, or where it lives. As long as you can get access to it, we’re convinced that you can clean it up and import it using Power Query. And that’s why this course also showcases how to connect to a wide variety of data sources including databases, web pages, Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft SharePoint, PDF files, and more.
Built from a practical point of view, showcasing real-world examples and techniques that you can use right away, you’ll learn the steps, formulas, and tricks from world-class experts that will save you hours of time on a weekly basis.
Who this course is for:
- People who already have the skills provided in our free Power Query Fundamentals course (or equivalent experience)
- Anyone that need to import and clean data to be analyzed
- Anyone who copies and pastes data into the same Excel spreadsheet on a regular basis in order to be able to continue their workflow
- Anyone who has ever tried to consolidate data in Excel using VLOOKUP() or other methods
- Every user of Excel or Power BI
For the ultimate Power Query training package, our Power Query Bundle gives you access to everything in this course, plus full access to both the Power Query Fundamentals and Power Query Advanced courses as well. The Power Query Bundle is the best value for those who truly want to master Power Query! Check out our subscription options and pricing on the main Power Query Academy page.
What you get with the course
What our students say about the course
Course Update Log
First release of the course as Power Query Essentials
New videos added to the Simple Transformation Techniques Module:
- Working with Random Numbers
- Ranking Data
New videos added by Matt Allington:
- Simple Transformation Techniques Module
- Adding a Column Based on a Cell Value
- Merging Data Module
- Changing Data and Adding Content
- Cleanse Multiple Characters in Data